Want to take the next step in bicycle maintenance? This is approximately a 6-7 hour class where you will get hand's on with your bike and leave with a full, double checked tune up! Students will get an overview of the entire bike and all components. With emphasis on checking equipment, diagnosis of common issues and repairs.
We dive into the following list of components.
- All of the Basics of Bikes Course (Flat Tire, ect)
- Brake Systems; Adjustments of Disc and Rim, Types, Replacing Pads.
- Drive-train Systems; Common issues, gear adjustment, chain wear and cleaning
- Wheel Truing; Hand's on wheel truing, spoke tension principles.
- Torque Specifications; How tight to tighten bolts.
- Bottom Bracket Systems; Types, selection and when to replace.
- Pedals, Handlebar and Headsets including types, Common Issues, Repair
The class is capped at 6 for an intimate learning experience and is very hands-on!
The location: Our bike shop is at 1089 Somerset St W, Ottawa.
- Parking/Transit: There is free street parking out front. By public transit, we are steps away from Bayview Station. Bring your bike in-store if you bike in.
What do you need to bring?
- A lunch or some money to buy lunch nearby (lots of great food & SuzyQ doughnuts).
- Your bike! Make sure it’s free of mud and sand to make working on it easier. If you have any parts you would like to install, bring them! We also sell parts here.
- Some clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. It’s important that clothing is tucked in to avoid getting caught on anything.
- A hair tie for those with long hair. Leave the jewelry at home, your hands will be getting dirty!
- A notebook and pen to take notes!
What does Quick Cranks provide?
- We provide shop aprons, eye protection, gloves, and a loaner copy of the Big Blue Book Bicycle Repair Manual. This book is the basis of this course and makes for an excellent resource, they are available to purchase at our shop.
- All the tools, solvents, lubricants, and materials you need to succeed in our course.
How will the class work?
- We have 4 workstations with benches, tools, and a bike stand. You will be partnered up and work together on one bike at a time.
- We will have a few small breaks and a 40-minute lunch break. Otherwise, it’s a busy day!
What’s the schedule?
- Our doors open at 8:50 amd class starts at 9am, please
What is your refund policy?
- Course Fee's are fully refundable or reschedulable up to 72 hours in advanced of the course date.
- Course registration is fully transferable to another person.
Do I have to sign a waiver?
- Our class teaches you the skills to confidently work on many parts of your bike but it is not a substitute for a professional tune-up. Thus, all registrants must sign a waiver of liability.